UC - Eligibility in Local Context ELC
The UC Eligibility in the Local Context (ELC) program recognizes student's individual accomplishments in light of the opportunities offered at their particular high school. If they rank in the top 9 percent of students in our high school class — students can qualify for admission to UC. The UC will identify the top 9 percent of students based on GPA in UC-approved coursework completed in the 10th and 11th grades. To be considered for ELC, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and complete the following "a-g" courses prior to their senior year:
- 1 year of History
- 1 year of English
- 2 years of Mathematics
- 2 years of Laboratory Science
- 1 year of Language other than English
- 1 year of Other "a-g" courses(chosen from the subjects listed above or another course approved by the university)
When will students find out if they have been designated ELC?
As an applicant from California, MWHS applicants to the UC will be automatically screened for ELC eligibility when they apply to one or more UC schools in the fall of their Senior year. There’s no extra paperwork. After submitting the UC application, MWHS students can return to the "My UC Application" page to see whether or not they've been designated as being in the top 9 percent of their class.
What is the goal of the ELC program?
- increase the pool of UC-eligible students
- meet the guideline of the California Master Plan for Higher Education, which states that the top 9 percent of public high school graduates will be considered UC-eligible
- give UC a presence in each California high school and stimulate a college-going culture at those schools that typically do not send many graduates to the top tier of California public universities.
For more detailed information click on the ELC program go to the UC's ELC Program website.
Notes on the ELC Program:
- Please understand, if a student does not receive the ELC designation, they may still be eligible for acceptance at a UC. ELC designation is not a requirement for acceptance. It is a way to open up UC acceptance to outstanding students from all California high schools.
- ELC designation simply guarantees a student to a UC campus, not all UC campuses.